I've been wanting to make I-spy bags for the kids for quite a while, but didn't know the first thing about it. What I found out is this: If I can do it, anyone can.
I found a couple of tutorials that I liked, though my bags are slightly smaller scale.
According to Kelly had a nice, simple tutorial that I followed, for the most part.
Using the rotary cutter to cut out the window was the biggest lifesaver and saved me a TON of time. Most of the tutorials online show the front panel being sewed on in four separate pieces to the vinyl. No, thanks! I used tissue paper on the back of the vinyl to keep it from sticking to the sewing machine, but I'm not too sure that I needed it after all. At least one of the tutorials online suggested sewing vinyl-side down because the sewing goes smoother. I didn't bother trying it the other way, because it worked like a charm!
I used the sewing machine to sew up the majority of the bag, leaving only a smallish hole on one side to put the items and the poly-fill beads in. In retrospect, I wish I had used rice for the bags. Cheaper and not so static-y. At one point this morning, I had poly-fill beads all over my hands and even between my toes!
Here is the front of Audrey's.
The front of Henry's.
I put a nice assortment of items in the bags. I have a few pictures below of some of them.
A bear, a turtle, a dog, a cat, a fish, a star, a donut shape, a flower shape, a heart, a marble, the numbers 1 through 9 and the letters of their own names went into each bag.
Perfect stocking stuffers for this Christmas!
They will also be wonderful quiet toys for church! Yay!!
And Happy Crafting!