Wednesday, December 21, 2011

I Spy Bags Craft

I've been wanting to make I-spy bags for the kids for quite a while, but didn't know the first thing about it. What I found out is this: If I can do it, anyone can.

I found a couple of tutorials that I liked, though my bags are slightly smaller scale.

According to Kelly had a nice, simple tutorial that I followed, for the most part.

Using the rotary cutter to cut out the window was the biggest lifesaver and saved me a TON of time. Most of the tutorials online show the front panel being sewed on in four separate pieces to the vinyl. No, thanks! I used tissue paper on the back of the vinyl to keep it from sticking to the sewing machine, but I'm not too sure that I needed it after all. At least one of the tutorials online suggested sewing vinyl-side down because the sewing goes smoother. I didn't bother trying it the other way, because it worked like a charm!

I used the sewing machine to sew up the majority of the bag, leaving only a smallish hole on one side to put the items and the poly-fill beads in. In retrospect, I wish I had used rice for the bags. Cheaper and not so static-y. At one point this morning, I had poly-fill beads all over my hands and even between my toes!

Here is the front of Audrey's.

The back.

The front of Henry's.

The back.

I put a nice assortment of items in the bags. I have a few pictures below of some of them.
A bear, a turtle, a dog, a cat, a fish, a star, a donut shape, a flower shape, a heart, a marble, the numbers 1 through 9 and the letters of their own names went into each bag.






 Perfect stocking stuffers for this Christmas!

They will also be wonderful quiet toys for church! Yay!!

Happy Christmas!

And Happy Crafting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really need to make some of those...I have all that bean bag fill I need to use up.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...