Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Beach!!

Yes, we finally got to the beach while we were in California. The Saturday before we left for home, we trekked down to Carlsbad State Beach and spent 3 or 4 hours enjoying the sand and surf. I've come to the conclussion that my daughter is a big chicken.. No petting zoo, no ocean water.. sheesh! She spent the better part of an hour walking along the beach and swerving whenever a wave got a bit too close to her toes. We did manage to get her in the water, but she was NOT happy about it. Who would have thought my water baby would hate the ocean? At one point she tried to suck her thumb to make her feel better. She immediately pulled it out and looked at it incredulously. Why does my thumb taste like SALT?

Getting cozy in a beach chair. Playing Peek-a-boo with Aunt Becky.

Eating sunblock... Yummers!

Running up and down the beach.. finding lots of weird stuff... Wow! Seaweed!
Baby sand footprints.. awwww!


Running from waves. Playing in the sand.. can it possibly get better than this?

Ben had his first real beach experience and spent about 2 1/2 of the 3 1/2 hours or so IN the ocean. He learned how to boogie board and discovered that the ocean is much saltier than he ever imagined.
Boogie Ben!
And where is Emily in all this? No way in heck are you seeing me in my tankeeny. I think you've all seen enough flower-print whales in your lives..

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I, too, am a flower printed whale with a really bad farmer tan. It was a sad day when I discovered that I prefered sitting on the beach looking at the water than actually being in it. I don't like sand inbetween places...

Katscratchme said...

Oh, don't get me started on how many showers it took to get all the sand and residue completely... For several days I thought I had it all and found some more in my belly button.. urgg! Sorry.. WAY too much info on that one..

Trillium said...

Great photos! Almost like being there. Of course, I also prefer looking at the ocean rather than being in it for sundry reasons. Getting sand on my feet and between my toes is entirely more than sufficient. Even so, after I get back in the car, brush the sand from my feet, and slip on my sandals, my feet still feel cruddie and coated with oceanic protozoans. (Shudder) Think of Mr. Monk at the beach—that’s me (almost).

Chris said...

When we went on our family trip to California earlier this year in May, our son Jacob was also scared of the ocean. As we were walking on the beach, and we got within view, he started to cry and literally ran in the opposite direction. I think I video taped it. I'll have to post it on my blog.

Katscratchme said...

You should totally post it. I kept trying to get Audrey on film doing something funny, but she seems to have some sort of radar for when I have my camera out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...