Thursday, April 4, 2013

How David Tennant became a Metaphor for the Savior and Clean Underwear means more than avoiding Embarrassment

Funny how when you want a dream to lead you somewhere, you end up with those weird, don't-actually-mean-anything dreams...

But when you aren't looking for a dream with a point, one sneaks up on you. Sortof like when I stopped looking to get married, I almost literally bumped into Ben.

Anyway.

Without going into detail, the elements of my dream last night included giant ants spewing out of a sideways tornado, my search for clean underwear and the entrance of David Tennant who, in true Doctor Who style, was leaping around trying to save us all from impending doom.

Whilst explaining this to my dear husband, it occurred to me that there really was something going on subconsciously in this bizarre realm. It came as I voiced my own interpretation of the oddity of my experience:

"Danger without being scared and hero worship without being in love."

At first I thought it sounded like a tag line or a title for something. Then I realized that it was poignant for another reason.

Stay with me here... the reason my dream was so weird is because truth must come to me in odd ways. That's the only way to get me to sit up and take notice. Most of my story ideas come from a kernel of whimsical and disturbing strangeness.

Just as an example, as I write this, I'm chair-dancing to Lady Gaga while formulating how I will write out my eternal-truth inspiration. Okay, that might have been a bit too much information.

Don't try to understand. Just let it flow around you.

You still with me?

The events in my dream were filled with danger and I was well aware of it. We were able to get rid of the ants on our own, but I had a sense that they were just the beginning. I did take issue with how we destroyed them since it would just as easily kill us all in the attempt and probably already was. We could handle giant ants reasonably well, but what was coming next would prove to be too difficult. I never saw the approaching enemy, but the urgency was tangible.

So, when David Tennant showed up, it had to be because what was coming could only be handled by someone built to protect us. A Savior, if you will. All I knew was that I had to stay with him. It was vital that I follow him wherever he went, no matter how fast he moved. I knew I would be safe if I did.

It wasn't until I woke up that I realized how odd it was that I wasn't smitten with him in my dream. You know how it can be in dreams. Here comes the hero and you are automatically in love with him. It wasn't like that for me. I was confident that he would protect us all and that I had to do my best to keep up with him. I wasn't sure if I'd even be able to help him, but I would hang on and survive the ride.

So... putting it together, what did I finally decide? As long as I hang on to my heroes and do my best to keep up with them, the horrific danger will mean nothing. I'm safe as long as I follow close in His footsteps.

What's that you say? What about the underwear? Ah, I see you didn't let that slip by.

Honestly, I think it might go back to that old mothering adage. Always wear clean underwear.
But, seriously, if what is most intimate to us is clean and pure, we're ready for the arrival of our hero. Our Savior.

There you have it. A glimpse into the convoluted workings of my mind.

Come back next time for another surreal moment with Yours Truly.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...