Thursday, April 23, 2009

By way of updates

I'm completely and utterly exhausted. On top of that, I feel guilty because my daughter didn't get to celebrate her 2nd birthday yesterday. I know she doesn't know the difference yet, but I do and that's the point.

Tuesday afternoon and evening I started having contractions regularly (about 3 to 4 minutes apart). We contacted some friends and decided to wait to see if they would settle down. They lasted about an hour and a half and then let up. I had my weekly appointment on Wednesday (is it really only Thursday today??) and was told by the doctor that if I had more contractions like that to just go in to the L&D Triage and see if I could have a baby.
Wednesday afternoon the contractions started up again and were about 2 to 3 minutes apart. We made a call to the doctors office to see how long they wanted us to track them before going in. While waiting for them to call back, we settled Audrey at her little friend Theo's house. When the doctors office finally called back, we'd been tracking the contractions for about an hour and a half. They told us to just come on in.

So, I was thinking to myself: Okay, this is it.

Yeah.

Let me tell you, an IV is only worth-while if you get ADMITTED. Never mind if they can't get it right the first time and have to do it over again...

They pumped me full of fluids to see if dehydration was causing the contractions. A liter and some later, no dice.

After more than 4 hours they decided that even though I was having regular contractions, they weren't doing anything. So, apparently, I have a stupid, lazy uterus that doesn't want to do it's job. By this point, I was nearly delirious and couldn't even think straight. I wasn't too tired, however, to be a bit ticked about being told to go in for no good reason. Grumble, grumble.

So, we let Audrey stay at her friend's house rather than get her up out of bed at 9pm. Poor thing! No birthday!

We picked her up early this morning (no sleeping in) and have been running ever since. We went to the mall to see if we can walk this baby out. Then we went to her 2 year check-up. The Dr. K thinks she's doing very well and is quite surprised at how observant she is. He toyed with the idea of autism for a few minutes but quickly threw it out because she doesn't follow the normal patterns for that. She's just a smart girl who notices EVERYTHING (including what we don't want her to).

She got two pokes today. One in the leg (Hep B, I think) and one on her finger. They were checking for diabetes because we mentioned how Audrey seems to be constantly thirsty. Everything turned out okay but we did take a very tired, very sad girl out of the office and had to talk to her all the way home to keep her from crying herself into a fit. Poor girl.

Oh, when they checked her blood sugar, that little finger poke bled like crazy. She got it all over her leg, the exam table, her foot, her stomach, her other hand and I don't know what else.

As I sit typing this, she is on the couch yawning. I'd like to think she'll have a nice, long nap this afternoon.... but I know better.

3 comments:

Rebecca's Oasis said...

Tell Audrey I said happy birthday! I remember the boo boos that my babies got at the doctor's office. Not fun.

At one point I just stopped taking the kids for their check-ups. Aislyn would become extremely ill after her shots. Not fair. So I said "Enough is Enough"

She is healthy and happy.

Anonymous said...

Awww...sounds like everyone had a rough day!

Trillium said...

This too shall pass....
Really.
The sun will come out tomorrow....
Every cloud has a silve lining....

Maybe all this is a blessing in disguise!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...