Sunday, December 8, 2013

Passing on Traditions

I had a vague memory recently that lead to warm remembrances and a desire to share that experience with my children. I never knew what they were called when I was a kid, but I found them on Pinterest or some such just a couple of months ago.

Pomanders.

Pomanders can be made in a lot of ways, but at Christmas-time, they're made of oranges and cloves.

Ben and I made things easy for the kids, pre-stringing the ribbon and poking holes for the cloves.

Henry's face... hahah!

Ben's baseball pomander. 
Just behind, you can see my overly-enthusiastic Paperwhites that decided they didn't want to wait for Christmas to bloom!

Audrey was completely focused and finished her pomander all on her own.

Audrey's whispered "ouch... ouch.. ow.. ouch" at every thorny clove brought out my sympathy as well as amusement.

Henry ended up needing help from me, but he was a trooper, anyway.


Patches wanted to know what we were engaged in that could possibly take the attention off of her!




We've strung them up throughout the house. Let's see how long it takes for the aroma to infuse our little abode!

2 comments:

Trillium said...

Mmmmmm! I bet they smell yummy!

Anonymous said...

I remember doing that as a kid. I hung it in my closet. I'm not sure if it was because I was supposed to, or because I didn't want Mom to know that I had used up her entire bottle of cloves...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...